Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Erawan Shrine, More Malls, & Chinatown (Day 5)

This is our last day in Thailand and we were hoping to make it count.  Unfortunately, the "Incident" happened, which I won't discuss further, and instantly, I was on my own for the rest of the day.

I started my trip around 1 pm, after checking out and leaving my stuff at the hotel.  I hoped on the BTS to Chit Lom Station and made my way down to the Erawan Shrine.  Located below the Grand Hyatt Erawan Hotel, the Erawan Shrine houses a sacred Hindu statue named Than Tao Mahaprom with hordes of followers paying their respects from morning til night.  It is adorned with flowers, incense and candles and is revered by Thais.

As seen from the skybridge





After saying my prayers at the shrine, I decided to check out the other malls in Ratchaprasong.  Inside the Grand Hyatt Erawan Hotel is the Erawan Bangkok, a boutique mall with posh brands and very few people shopping. There is a wellness center on top, fashion shops in the middle and fine restaurants on the ground including Crystal Jade.

Entrance to the Hyatt


Getting back up the skybridge, I followed the directions to Gaysorn, a chic and sophisticated mall geared towards luxury shopping.  It has over 100 shops in 5 levels but none which interests me.  Major tenants include LV, Prada, Fendi and local brands Stretsis and Disaya.

Conveniently connected to the skybridge

Gorgeous chandelier

I had lunch at Siam Paragon then returned to Central World and bought something before heading to the Pratunam area.  I made my way to Platinum Fashion Mall which as the name implies, is all about fashion.  Guys be warned though, this place is catered especially for women so you might want to skip this and save yourself and your wallet!  Ladies, you are expected to haggle and buying in bulk will get you more discount, but  you already know that!

Yum!

My mom says "Hi"

Parang 168

Right next door is Pantip Plaza, the electronics mall.  This is the place to go for the cheapest prices and widest selection of stores selling computers, cameras, music players and other gadgets.  There are also stores which sell counterfeit software and pirated goods.  The biggest drawback as always when buying electronic items abroad is the lack of warranty and the after-sale services which your item might need.  Based on experience, it is very difficult to have an item repaired or to look for parts if bought internationally.

Pantip Plaza


Packed with tech goodies

I walked about 10 minutes to reach BTS Ratchathewi Station and moved on to Bangkok's Chinatown at Yaowarat road.  My visit coincided with the Vegetarian festival, and for people who don't know me, I don't eat veggies.  I just don't, never have; I eat them minced or in small portions like as part of fried rice or pizza but never in big portions or as main meal.  My palate just rejects it, if I force myself into eating I usually just swallow the whole thing up otherwise I spit them all back out.  All of the street vendors had the yellow flag raised which signifies their participation in the festival.  Needless to say I didn't get to enjoy the street food and contributed to my disappointment in the place.  It's a bit unfair to give a verdict of the place because the timing of my visit wasn't ideal (more alive at night) and with the festival going on.  Also, I didn't get to spend a lot of time exploring the area.  On this day, I found Yaowarat as no different than any other Chinatowns I've been to, nothing special.

Getting to Chinatown on foot is tricky, but I will try to give you guys the direction as well as I can.  Switch  into the Metro to Hualamphong Station.  After exiting the station, cross the street, and turn left to Thannon Rama IV where the stoplight is, then walk straight until you reach the intersection on the second corner where a small Chinese arch stands.  Turn left to Thannon Mittaphap Thai-China and walk until you reach the end of the road signaled by another Chinese arch.  Turn right and walk until you reach Wat Traimit where another intersection awaits.  Turn left at the intersection and you have reached Yaowarat road aka Chinatown. 

Yaowarat Road

Where'd all the meat go?



I returned to Khao San for some last minute food tripping, then rode the ferry and BTS back to the hotel to meet up with JC.  After saying our goodbyes to the endearing hotel staff, we took a cab back to the airport. We had dinner in one of restaurants inside after crossing immigration.  I wandered around the shops waiting for boarding, not really wanting to go home yet.




Airport Departure



Food at the Airport, okay lang

BYE

I enjoyed my first visit toThailand.  Bangkok is surely one of the best cities in the world although not THE best as the magazine claims, but still, a fine destination for sightseeing, street food and meeting wonderful people.  Life around the Chao Phraya River is fascinating, sticky mango rice is now one of my all time favorite street food, I would love to return to Khao San Road and Chatuchak, and the Thai people are truly friendly, unassuming, and hospitable all which makes this trip memorable.

Thanks again for reading my blog, feel free to post your comments.  Salamat.

Helpful Links:

Wikitravel Bangkok
PEX Bangkok
Bangkok Guide

51 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading your post. I learn a lot through your travel experience. Keep on posting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Nice post, planning to go there in March 2013 and your blog really helped me plan my DIY tour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very informative blog. I enjoyed reading. Thank you for the info. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog aware me about different programs which can become very useful for our friends and kids. Few websites provide combined courses and few of the are separately for single subject. Glad to get this information.
    เทรด ค่า เงิน

    ReplyDelete
  5. Share great information about your blog , Blog really helpful for us . We read your blog , share most useful information in blog . Thanks for share your blog
    Binary Option Thailandhere .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I welcome all the suggestion mentioned in this blog related to new learning skills. It is definitely going to help me to adopt new exited way of learning. I think, others will also feel helpful this blog for their needs.
    ขายของออนไลน์ยังไงให้มีคนซื้อ

    ReplyDelete
  7. I welcome all the suggestion mentioned in this blog related to new learning skills. It is definitely going to help me to adopt new exited way of learning. I think, others will also feel helpful this blog for their needs.
    VDO wall ราคา

    ReplyDelete
  8. This blog is truly useful to convey overhauled instructive undertakings over web which is truly examination. I discovered one fruitful case of this truth through this blog. I will utilize such data now.
    ตู้ Kiosk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! This is the perfect blog I am looking this type of blog its awesome blog here , share great information about this topic. This informative blog helps many readers with their decision-making regarding the situation. Great articles and will look forward for more!
    การเล่นหุ้น Forex ดีไหม

    ReplyDelete
  10. Graceful written content on this blog is really useful for everyone same as I got to know. Difficult to locate relevant and useful informative blog as I found this one to get more knowledge but this is really a nice one.
    ขาย ออนไลน์ อะไร ดี

    ReplyDelete
  11. This blog aware me about different programs which can become very useful for our friends and kids. Few websites provide combined courses and few of the are separately for single subject. Glad to get this information.
    VDO wall ราคา

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello! It looks like the writer of this blog is really very professional because I never read such kind of writing before. The way of writing and the way of using right words on right place shows some expert skills
    ป้าย ดิจิตอล

    ReplyDelete
  13. Surprising background experienced in everything sentence of this article. I made a decent attempt to get hint about how I could demonstrate substance of this blog. I must say, not much powerful but rather I surrendered every one of my weapons soon after understanding it.
    จอ digital signage

    ReplyDelete
  14. The site is really beneficial for everyone to know about this topic. I think if you read blog than you will get some more information from blog. This is really useful blog.
    โปรโมชั่น jd central

    ReplyDelete
  15. This blog is really helpful regarding all educational knowledge I earned. It covered a great area of subject which can assist a lot of needy people. Everything mentioned here is clear and very useful.
    custom bags

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is really nice to read content of this blog. A is very extensive and vast knowledgeable platform has been given by this blog. I really appreciate this blog to has such kind of educational knowledge.
    custom tote bags

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sometime few educational blogs become very helpful while getting relevant and new information related to your targeted area. As I found this blog and appreciate the information delivered to my database.
    work polo shirts

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your blog is very informative. Eating mindfully has been very hard for people these days. It's all because of their busy schedules, work or lack of focus on themselves. As a student I must admit that I have not been eating mindfully but because of this I will start now. It could help me enjoy my food and time alone. Eating mindfully may help me be aware of healthy food and appreciating food.
    แชมพูลดผมร่วง

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am grateful to you on the grounds that your article is exceptionally useful for me to continue with my exploration in same region. Your cited illustrations are all that much significant to my exploration field.This is extraordinary! It really exhibits to me where to broaden my online diary
    I am grateful to you on the grounds that your article is exceptionally useful for me to continue with my exploration in same region. Your cited illustrations are all that much significant to my exploration field.This is extraordinary! It really exhibits to me where to broaden my online diary
    zwangerschapsmassage nijmegen

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am truly inspired by this online journal! Extremely clear clarification of issues is given and it is open to every living soul. I have perused your post, truly you have given this extraordinary informative data about it.
    zwangerschapsmassage nijmegen

    ReplyDelete
  21. Somewhere the content of the blog surrounded by little arguments. Yes it is healthy for readers. They can include this kind of language in their writing skill as well as while group discussion in college.
    zwangerschapsyoga amsterdam

    ReplyDelete
  22. Graceful written content on this blog is really useful for everyone same as I got to know. Difficult to locate relevant and useful informative blog as I found this one to get more knowledge but this is really a nice one.
    เทคนิค ขาย ของ ออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am thankful to this blog for assisting me. I added some specified clues which are really important for me to use them in my writing skill. Really helpful stuff made by this blog.
    tote bag

    ReplyDelete
  24. This blog is truly useful to convey overhauled instructive undertakings over web which is truly examination. I discovered one fruitful case of this truth through this blog. I will utilize such data now.
    jacket

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am grateful for this blog to distribute knowledge about this significant topic. Here I found different segments and now I am going to use these new instructions with new enthusiasm.
    เพจขายของ

    ReplyDelete
  26. This blog is really helpful regarding all educational knowledge I earned. It covered a great area of subject which can assist a lot of needy people. Everything mentioned here is clear and very useful.
    แท็บเล็ต เล่นเกม rov

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sometime few educational blogs become very helpful while getting relevant and new information related to your targeted area. As I found this blog and appreciate the information delivered to my database.?
    ทัวร์เลห์ลาดักห์

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sometime few educational blogs become very helpful while getting relevant and new information related to your targeted area. As I found this blog and appreciate the information delivered to my database.
    Dell PowerEdge T440

    ReplyDelete
  29. It is really a helpful blog to find some different source to add my knowledge. I came into aware of new professional blog and I am impressed with suggestions of author.
    forex demo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow! This is the perfect blog I am looking this type of blog its awesome blog here , share great information about this topic. This informative blog helps many readers with their decision-making regarding the situation. Great articles and will look forward for more!
    ดีล ส่วน ลด JD Central

    ReplyDelete
  31. A writer should always try to keep its writing very simple and clear. Always use facts which are easily acceptable by general people because they are very close to their assumptions and they welcome such kind of facts.
    เรียน a level

    ReplyDelete
  32. I always replied to this blog post and its been a long time since I came into knowledge of this blog. One of my friend’s suggestion worked for me and I am still regular to read every post of this blog.
    โค้ด ส่วนลด JD Central

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sometimes we have to face a lot of confusion when we found different opinion of different hundreds of articles related to same question. But I think now I am close to resolve my doubts after reading this blog.
    จอง โรงแรม agoda

    ReplyDelete
  34. Mesmerized article written on this blog with other relevant information. It is straight to the point that how we can improve our skills as well as how we can be represented to a new stream of professionalism.
    canvas bag

    ReplyDelete
  35. This blog is really helpful to deliver updated educational affairs over internet which is really appraisable. I found one successful example of this truth through this blog. I am going to use such information now.
    custom work shirt

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am grateful to you on the grounds that your article is exceptionally useful for me to continue with my exploration in same region. Your cited illustrations are all that much significant to my exploration field.This is extraordinary! It really exhibits to me where to broaden my online diary
    ราคา ทอง

    ReplyDelete
  37. Enthusiastic beginning is very common in every sector when anyone enters into a new world. But it is very hard to keep such enthusiasm for a long time after huddles come out from invited sources. Read this blog and know more about this topic.
    shopee promotion

    ReplyDelete
  38. It verbalizes a limitless imagination. I am totally impressed with the factual transformation skill of author used for transforming his thoughts and presented here. Impressed with deep meaning of this article.
    สร้างเพจ

    ReplyDelete
  39. I am regular to check every post of this blog as well as its other supportive and knowledgeable informative blog post. I appreciate efforts of owner to deliver such valuable information to people.
    คูปอง JD Central

    ReplyDelete
  40. creativity of writer is purely impressive. It has touched to the level of expertise with his writing. Everything is up to the mark. Written perfectly and I can use such information for my coming assignment.
    รับ ซื้อ ทอง

    ReplyDelete
  41. Sometime few educational blogs become very helpful while getting relevant and new information related to your targeted area. As I found this blog and appreciate the information delivered to my database.
    แท็บเล็ต ซัมซุง

    ReplyDelete
  42. I constantly like to read a top quality content having accurate info pertaining to the subject and the exact same thing I found in this article. Nice job.
    ราคา ขาย ทอง

    ReplyDelete
  43. Here in this blog, words themselves are creating that scenario where there is a lot of mayhem and serendipity along with a silent isolation. Rarely found to see such skill and enthusiasm.
    ทองคำ

    ReplyDelete
  44. No one can stop you writing a perfect blog or article if you are passionate to your job. Your aim is to satisfy your readers with a well written blog and your passion is always behind your every successful assignment. Impressive writing skills can be observed over here.
    aliexpress code

    ReplyDelete
  45. A writer should always try to keep its writing very simple and clear. Always use facts which are easily acceptable by general people because they are very close to their assumptions and they welcome such kind of facts.
    Lot size คืออะไร

    ReplyDelete
  46. This blog is really helpful for my database. It enhanced the area of my thoughts and pushed me beyond the boundaries. Work ethic of every point is different and represent a new way to improve myself.
    ดี ล ais

    ReplyDelete
  47. I would like to know more about these suggestive points. Give me little more brief and I think they can help me. Here the mentioned points are very useful and I am definitely going to adopt in my life.
    persoonlijke ontwikkeling amsterdam

    ReplyDelete
  48. Nice to read this publication on this blog. As far as I can see, this is a very basic question for everyone indeed. Its my personal opinion and I am completely agreed with the subject used here
    น้ำหอม ck

    ReplyDelete
  49. It would be interesting to join such an aggressive and real discussion with readers of this blog as well as readers of other blogs or websites who really thing that they can express more related to this topic.
    Bodrum otelleri ultra herşey dahil

    ReplyDelete
  50. Everyone loves it when people come together and share ideas. Great site, keep it up!
    bàn ăn gỗ giá rẻ

    ReplyDelete
  51. There's definately a lot to know about this subject. I love all the points you have made.
    đồ gỗ nội thất

    ReplyDelete